LCYC Racing Update--June 11, 2020
The LCYC Race Management Group and the Regatta Committee have been working diligently to find a path forward to allow for some form of racing this season. We have bounced back and forth as things have progressed and restrictions have eased. We are taking a lesson from our Governor and are planning a phased “spigot-turning” approach to starting the sailing season. Here is where we are.
Pending final approval by the LCYC Covid-19 Task force early next week, starting June 24 we will begin our Wednesday night sailing with a practice race. The following weeks being the normally scheduled Wednesday night series, starting with “B2” on July 1. We believe this is in keeping with the Governor’s planned order to allow for organized sports events to begin July 1.
If turnout is good for the Wednesday series, we will attempt to phase in weekend events as well as the Monday night Etchells/Sportboat series. We plan to reschedule the Doublehanded Race. Stay tuned for updates.
We ask that all racers follow the directives set forth by State officials, the LCYC COVID-19 Task Force and the Board of Governors. A few main points:
• Members and guests are required to wear masks on the grounds, docks and launches.
• Please maintain social distance on the docks.
• Please remember to sign in, when you get to the club.
• Please ensure plenty of time to get to the race course. With limited capacity on the launches, it may take more time to get to your boat. Only 2 crew members may ride the launch to or from the mooring.
• We suggest that crews be limited to immediate family or other trusted households. Ultimately, it is the skipper’s decision whom to have on board.
• PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THIS ONE: The sailing instructions are changing in a very important way. We will be utilizing Appendix U of The Racing Rules of Sailing. THE SEQUENCE WILL BE CHANGING FROM A 5-MINUTE STARTING SEQUENCE TO A 3-MINUTE DINGHY SEQUENCE. This will help limit the number of race officials on the water. PLEASE REVIEW ALL SAILING INSTRUCTIONS PRIOR TO THE FIRST RACE.
• We are allowing folks to swap between Spin and JAM fleets. You must communicate this to the Race Committee prior to the start of the race.
It has been a team effort to get here! I want to sincerely thank all the fleet captains and the Race Management Group. If you see them, thank them. Lastly, if you have chosen not to race this year, we still need volunteers to run races. It would be a great excuse to get on the water with your family and would be a tremendous help.